Wednesday, January 26, 2005

A Dream I Had........

I have a story based on a dream I had...Most of it is true...But then I added a few more details later. So its based on a dream I had.

Sweet Nightmares ;)




The Dream

I was asleep........That's where dreams begin after all.

It wasn't really a dream though,it was like half sleep. I could hear everything in my house. I could feel how I was positioned in my bed,and I could smell the scent of my room through my involuntary breathes, but I could not move and I couldn't open my eyes to see.

I knew exactly where I was. There was a wall with a window to my left,my closet was on the wall to my right along with the door that led to the hallway that lay on the other side of that closet wall,and the headboard of my bed rested against the wall about a foot from the top of my head.

I tried to take a deep breathe but it was not to be,my chest still took its normal involuntary breathes that a sleeping body would allow.
I could hear the faint rattling of panic start to rise deep inside me and I tried to control it as best I could,telling myself that I will wake up sooner or later and this would pass just like the other times.
I tried moving my arms,my legs,anything but of course it was no use and I knew that but I did my best to relax anyhow. As I did that I felt myself slipping into the dreamscape. Images started to form.

Swirls of pink,red,blue and black all coming together and just as I was becoming hopelessly hypnotised there came a very loud BANG................

The heater in my house just turned on......That's what it was..........But I'm still in a half sleep....Odd.....That should have been loud enough to wake me I thought...But it didn't........I could feel my ceiling fan blowing wind onto my bare chest.......I was sweating.......I could feel the air cool on me as cool as a fall breeze. I couldn't wake no matter what I tried to do and the air was getting colder........Unnaturally cold.

I felt the panic rise again but I took hold of it not letting it get the better of me......This would all be over soon.

I heard the heater suddenly turn off but a second later it turned on again....But there was no bang....It just turned off and started up again as if someone didn't mean to switch it off and quickly corrected the matter. But it did it again...Off...Then on....Off....Then on...It just kept doing this. Then I heard something just out my window.....A sort bang on the glass...As if someone threw something soft like a pillow at it....A few seconds later I heard it again.....And again....Each thump a few seconds apart but in a sort of rhythm with the heater......Off,on thump.....Off,on thump.....Off,on thump!
Had I the power to move I would be trembling. As the constant rhythm continued I could feel the panic running through my blood leaving it cold and racing. I struggled to wake,.....And the more I struggled the colder I got.....And from the window then I heard something else.....
A muffled voice...Sounding like a muffled cough through the window glass but those cough soon turned into slow cackling laughter. I low and deep laughter of a man who didn't even sound human. It sounded as though it were the wind itself rapping on my window and it added itself to the chorus of this twisted song.
If I had the freedom to move I don't think I could have anyhow. I was held in place by these terrible sounds.....
The rhythm got louder and a bit faster..And the laughter so low now that I felt it creeping in every one of my bones like insects devouring me from the inside out....And then I heard something else in the mad symphony........

A woman outside...Close enough to hear but far away...Was shrieking..shrieking loud and shrill piercing the night air and my thin walls.....Then I heard her down the hall in my living room...She was running straight up the hallway towards my room shrieking like a banshee....But I heard no foot steps.....And then she was in my room.....The shrieking swirled around me like a deafening wind of its own. I think my fear went beyond anything I have ever felt.

The screaming then turned into sobbing..And from what I could discern she was as the foot of my bed...And then I heard it....Something else adding itself to the music....
A large clunking sound...Louder than all the other sounds...And then another...And then the sound of something dragging against the right wall but on the hallway side.....
They were footsteps........."clunk"...Very heavy footsteps......"clunk"
then the dragging sound against the wall......Heading closer and closer in the direction of my room. As the footsteps got closer the woman's sobbing intensified......And when the footsteps were at my door...She began to scream....But louder than even before....And the man outside the window began to laugh even louder....When the footsteps entered my room...The woman's screaming became a constant howl ...And as the footsteps got closer and closer to where the woman was I found myself screaming...I felt myself screaming but no sound was coming out......
In my silent scream I heard the scrapping of metal on my floor then a sound not unlike someone taking a bite of an apple turned the woman's screaming to the gargling sounds of the drowning...And my body was sprayed with something warm and wet. Very shortly after that a large ripping sound stopped the gargling..... And something heavy landed on my chest then rolled onto my right shoulder onto my bed beside my head settling itself close to my ear.
The rhythm got louder and louder......The laughter on the other side of my window grew into loud mad cackling.....And then "CLUNK".......
"CLUNK"........The steps were coming to the right side of my bed......"CLUNK"............"CLUNK".........And they stopped there...And as they stopped....Everything stopped.....And there was only silence.......
My heart slowed...And my hand twitched....I could move it.......I shifted my whole arm.......In my exhilaration I look a deep breath.....But as I did that I noticed my chest was sticky and wet.......And I still felt a weight beside my head on the right side.....And I still felt the presence looming over the right side of my bed....I turned my head in that direction...And reluctantly I opened my eyes....

BANG!

I sat up in my bed gasping for air. The banging I heard was the heater turning on I realized. I then peeled my sweat covered body off my bed and I proceeded wearily to the living room to watch some television.

I've never dreamed anything like it since and hardly anything has managed to startle me after that.
The only thing I can remember about opening my eyes at the end of my dream was something tall in a long black coat or cloak with a black wide brimmed hat...And it was pointing something curved and sharp.....
All I know is that it was an image that seems to be in every shadow I see.....And I feel its cold aura on my skin now and then when I'm half asleep.




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. Stop eating pickled sausages before bed.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Rimmy said...

So THAT'S why you were kicking in your sleep, when I was riding the couch at the cottage! lol

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home