Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Show Must Go On......Sadly

Tonight was game night.

The whole fiasco that started in the "Tick Fucking Tock" entry is all done with, and this is the first game since then.

How did it go? Not that good I'm afraid.

There is a reason for this that I just figured out.

My Game of World of Darkness is a horror/action sort of genre applying many inspirations such as H.P. Lovecraft and Neil Gaiman.

The trouble is, my players in general aren't into that scene.

An example.

Blake the vigilante's player loves strategy games like Warcraft and so on, and he loves comic book characters like The Punisher, so while game was going on certain things happened with him that tipped this whole thing off.

He wouldn't stop talking about his arsenal. He keeps trying to acquire new weapons all the time. Half the game is him looking for weapons and equiptment. That's normally fine but he seems overly paranoid about it.

That's not my big concern though.

All my players were in a subterranean tunnel maze. All they had was a flash light and a few hooks and pieces of chain to defend themselves.
They heard a creature coming from the darkness, and soon they saw it, and I began to describe it. But half way through Blake just says "Alright big beasty, got it!" He interrupted me in mid description, and its not the first time he's done so.

All he seems interested in is his kill count and when he's going to do some more killing and its obvious from his behavior that he's not very interested in the whole mood I'm trying to portray.

that's fucking annoying. I create something in my mind, and I try to describe it and it turns out to be crap cause I'm interrupted all the time and this really spoils the game for me. So much so I don't want to return, but I do.....Why? Who the hell knows.

One of my players, who plays a semi crooked cop, I can tell enjoys the mood from a solitary description I gave to her about her character's situation.

I could tell she was into it. The others seem to give it what they got but Blake seems to over shadow them.

I have been contemplating a new game more to their liking because I figure that they aren't going to really give a damn about anything I'm interested in anyway.

My friends had a few suggestions about letting em know whose boss, but that's not the issue. No matter what I do they aren't really going to care because they don't seem to give a damn about what I'm trying to create.
They are going to play what they like and they won't change.

Man, One problem goes and others pop up.

I'm glad at least one or two of my players seem to appreciate it anyway. I will think on what to do next over the next few days. I am tired, and I must rest now.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rimmy said...

You know, if Blake is all about his kill count, let him be. Do the others support him? Because if he's Captain Frontline, let him do that. We'll see how that flashlight and lead pipe he's swinging works against something that EATS people like him.

Then you can concentrate on the rest of the party while he's unconcious/dead/making a new character.

Dem's the breaks, Mr. "Big beastie, got it".

And Otto will be happy to slide sideways through the worlds to show that he can work over a dork and leave him just alive enough to do it again and again and again until he learns. Or Otto gets hungry. Whatever. ;)

10:35 AM  
Blogger kibilz said...

Not too sure about the new Werewolf story, perhaps you could introduce blake to a a angry Get of Fenris werewolf type? Or better yet pick up the new mage book and see how he deals with his new life as a ribbed varity trojan condom....

10:43 AM  
Blogger Fictional Correspondant said...

Alright guys, I know you all are trying to help, and I do appreciate it trust me, but here is the deal.

If his character dies in ways you describe, or I send things after him, he isn't going to care see, and thats the problem.

The only way I could fix it, is to not have him in the game because he is going to play his characters completely devoid of emotion, because as a RPG board game player he wants to remove all weakness from his piece. Sadly that includes emotion, at least to him.

So hes pretty stuck in his ways.

But he's leaving at the end of August, so I'm going to treat it as a test of tolerance until then;)

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home